Friday, 4 February 2011

First Proper Planning Meeting

Dateline: Thursday 20 January 2011
Justin & Stella invite us to their place in St Helens for our first proper planning meeting.
Start at 6.30pm
James & Nick already there when I turn up only a few minutes late!! I know amazin...its because I'm so excited...

Justin kindly supplies loads of beer and a tasty chilli con carne - great start!

Tom turns up soon after and James shows us his brilliant research work on the Moroccan routes, complete with large-scale map and photos. This is the first time I have looked at a map of our final destination! and it looks like a brilliant place.

James hands out his comprehensive spreadsheet of the proposed itinerary and we all agree to adopt it. So much to discuss and after several beers agree on the start date, which is pretty much dictated anyway by ferry departures from Portsmouth to Santander. Tom mentions the Picos de Europa so I make a mental note to look up routes that will take us through the Picos.


so .... The Plan:
Depart on Wednesday 9th March on the night ferry from Portsmouth (arr Santander about midday on Thursday) and take 3 to 4 days riding down through Spain to Almeria catch the Monday (14th) night ferry to Melilla in Morocco.
After several days scootin arond Maroc we may split into two groups, with Justin & James meeting their respective better halves and young Josh who will be flying in to Agadir airport. The arrangement is open ended and we may all head for the coast (Taghazoute) for some R & R or do some touristy things like Marrakech, etc.
Tom, Nick & I decide we will return on the Monday 28 March mid-afternoon sailing from Santander to Portsmouth. James & Justin probably few days later.

Much discussion on our bikes and preparation etc., especially tyres. I am now something of an expert on tyres having spent last month or so researching the things. Tom has managed to hopefully get a good deal with a local supplier so we are all going to order our tyres at the same time.
My bike - Aprilia Pegaso 650 Factory - has quite a few bits and pieces to be added to make it into something resembling a dual-purpose bike and the first thing was a dinky little screen.

Next on the list is a pair of Barkbuster hand guards - and of course the std fitting kit ... well it doesn't fit - the bars on this bike taper to a larger diameter from the grips... but Dave Lomax from the suppliers adventure-spec.com seems quite helpful - said I could send them back if they didn't fit.
One of the best accessories on a bike in my opinion is a Scottoiler.
We (my mechanic - Pete "shoot 'em up" Duddigan is helping me) installed the latest Scottoiler - an electronic version! with dual injector!! We already rammed some heated grips on which work very well. Then we need to fabricate a rack to take the panniers I bought end of last year - Australian things which look very robust.
Then theres the Garmin Zumo 550 to connect up to make sure I get lost all the time (it never fails).
and I may try a pair of those fancy pivoting footpegs to make riding dirt-bike fashion, i.e., standing up! a bit easier. So its all systems go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Maroc or all to cock would rhyme better"

BC said...

Dear Anon y Mous
Its too late to change the title half the world is following this blog... well there's 3 people I know who have expressed a mild interest by becoming 'followers'

Post a Comment